Lately, I have been exploring recipes with little or no dairy to accommodate friends who are lactose intolerant. Now, cheese and cream are staples in my cooking, but I am happy to rise to a challenge and learn new techniques. For this recipe, I decided to use eggplant and a teensy smidgen of yogurt to achieve a creamy consistency .
1 large eggplant, sliced
1 lb. fettucini
4 sausage links (use whatever kind you prefer; I used chicken)
Several tablespoons of chopped chives
6 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
1/2 cup plain or greek yogurt
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Brush eggplant with olive oil and salt and pepper. Place on greased baking sheet, along with garlic. Roast for 20 minutes, or until eggplant is completely soft.
3. While eggplants is roasting, heat water.
4. When water is boiling, add a few tsp. of salt, then stir in pasta and reduce heat. Cook to al dente or preferred texture.
5. While pasta and eggplant are cooking, heat oil in pan. When oil is shimmering, add sausage links and brown on all sides.
6. When eggplant and garlic are done, remove from oven and transfer to food processor.
7. Add yogurt, salt and pepper and olive oil and blend to desired consistency. Add spoonfuls of pasta water if sauce is too thick.
8. Drain pasta and toss with sauce. Add diced sausage and top with chopped chives.