All week I have been dying for tapenade. Lord knows why, but I had a salt craving that just would not quit. And this evening, I also happened to have a gorgeous ball of mozzarella just waiting to be melted. This may seem like a lot of steps, but the result is worth the time.
For the dough:
2 cups of flour (whole wheat, spelt, white, your choice)
1 tsp baking soda
Salt to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
Water for mixing
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together then add in olive oil.
2. Slowly stir in tepid water until the dough forms a ball and is elastic, but is not overly sticky.
3. Once the dough is a good consistency, use a floured rolling pin to roll out the dough to 1/2 inch thick on an oiled baking sheet.
4. Sprinkle with olive oil and pop into a 450 degree oven for 12 minutes.
For the tapenade:
2 cups pitted olives of your choice (I used Cerignola and Kalamata)
1 small tin of anchovies in olive oil
1 cloves garlic
1. In a food processor or mortar and pestle, crush garlic to paste.
2. Add anchovies, reserving oil, and blend.
3. Add the olives and mix to desired consistency, using reserved anchovy oil and additional olive oil to adjust.
For the flatbread:
1/2 lb mozzarella, shredded or sliced
1 cup ricotta
2 cooked chicken sausage links, sliced (can be omitted)
1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup basil, julienned
1. Spread tapenade on dough
2. Sprinkle half of sausage on tapenade
3. Cover the sausage in cheese, then add remaining sausage
4. Add tomatoes, then sprinkle ricotta on top
5. Cook in oven for 15 minutes at 450 degrees
6. Remove pizza from oven and add basil