I am not a fan of overcooking my vegetables; I just don’t like soggy, soft greens. Instead, I prefer to enhance their natural texture. This recipes embraces the inherent crunch of green beans. They are contrasted by melted cherry tomatoes and sauteed garlic. Toasted, slivered almonds complete the dish, which pairs perfectly with almost any meat or fish. Though any variety will do, use fresh, not frozen in this recipe. Serves 4.
1 lb. green beans, ends trimmed
3 large cloves of garlic, slivered
1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced
1 tbs. olive oil
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium pot, heat olive oil til shimmering over medium flame.
2. When olive oil is heated, stir in tomatoes and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Cook until tomatoes are slightly golden and garlic is soft.
4. Pour in chicken stock and stir.
5. Add green beans, stir and season.
6. Cover and steam until green beans are lightly cooked.
7. Remove beans from heat and stir in almonds. Adjust seasoning to taste.
These get better the longer they sit so set yourself some aside for tomorrow.