I designed this recipe for a supper club, and admit it contains a lot of ingredients and steps. But, I encourage you to go for it, if you have the time and inclination. If not (and no judgement!) use a creamy, garlicky store-bought dressing to simplify this recipe considerably.
A few other notes – Brussels sprouts aren’t just for roasting! Here, they’re raw and delicious. If you can’t find Meyer lemons (a hybrid of a lemon and orange), regular lemons will work just fine – just make sure to use organic since you’ll be eating the peel.
Finally, though these components all pair well together, they can be used individually, so mix and match as you please. Serves 4.
For the slaw:
1 pound Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and outer leaves discarded
For the dressing:
1/2 cup mayonnaise (Omit the herbs if using this recipe; you can also use store bought)
1 head of roasted garlic, cloves mashed with 1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the lemon slices:
1 Meyer lemon
1/4 all-purpose white flour
Canola oil for frying
For the crisps:
8 tablespoons of grated Parmesan, divided
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. On a heavily greased baking sheet, place one tablespoon of Parmesan and gently spread with the back of a spoon. Repeat process with remaining Parmesan, leaving at least two inches between each. Place in oven and bake until golden brown – about 6 minutes. Let cool completely, then set aside.
3. While crisps are baking, slice the lemon very thin (I used a mandolin), removing any seeds; pat slices dry. Toss with flour to coat, shaking off any excess. Pour oil to depth of half an inch in a small frying pan, then heat over medium high. Fry lemon – 3 to 4 slices at a time – turning occasionally, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
4. Feed sprouts through a food processor fitted with the grater attachment, then toss to separate. You can also do this by slicing sprouts lengthwise, then lengthwise again.
5. Whisk together all ingredients for dressing, then toss with slaw to combine. Garnish with lemon and crisps.