During these sickeningly hot summer days, I rely on quick and simple recipes. This easy meal comes together in under half an hour and is largely hands off. You can even use a food processor if you really can’t be bothered to cut the vegetables. Best of all, this orzo salad tastes even better chilled so you can enjoy it the next day. Be sure to make extras.
Fresh shrimp is best, bu frozen would work well, too.
1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
16 oz. whole wheat orzo
1 2 oz. tin of anchovies in oil,chopped
3 medium red peppers, julienned
2 shallots, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Several handfuls of fresh baby spinach, sliced
4 oz. feta, crumbled
2 large spoonfuls of Greek yogurt
Salt and pepper
1. In large pot, heat 32 oz. of salted water
2. When boiling, stir in orzo and return to boil.
3. While water is heating, heat 1 tbs olive oil over medium heat in large pan.
4. When oil is shimmering, add all vegetables and anchovies. Season with salt and cook until almost tender.
5. Remove vegetables from pan, and raise the heat. Add one more tbs of olive oil.
6. Add shrimp. Season with salt and pepper an cook til pink, about 2-3 minute per side.
7. When orzo is soft (but mushy, drain, and toss with olive oil.
8. Mix all ingredient and season to your liking.
A squirt of lemon and roasted red pepper flakes is delicious here.