I love potato tortillas since they combine two of my most favorite ingredients – eggs and potatoes – which I always have on hand.
This recipe is a little tricky, but the delicious results are worth every bit of effort. Don’t fret if it doesn’t turn out as pretty as you hoped. Substitute onions for the leeks if you like.
4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and quartered
3 thin leeks, cleaned, trimmed and sliced
8 large, fresh eggs
2 tablespoons whole milk
1 tablespoon butter
1. Place quartered potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water until just submerged. Salt the water, then turn on heat and bring water to a boil; leave pot uncovered.
2. When potatoes can be pierced with fork, drain and let cool. Slice potatoes very thinly, then pat dry with paper towels.
3. While potatoes are boiling, drizzle olive oil in a heavy bottomed skillet (I used my trusty 10 cast iron, as always), then melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the leeks and sauté til soft – about 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let cool.
3. When potatoes and leeks are ready, combine eggs, milk and a teaspoon or so of salt. Fold in potatoes and leeks. Let stand for about 10 minutes.
4. Heat three tablespoons of olive oil over medium low heat in the same skillet used for the leeks. When the olive oil is just beginning to smoke, pour in the egg mixture and flatten the potatoes with a spatula. Let cook undisturbed until top is just set – about 8ish minutes.
5. When the top appears set, run a thin spatula under the edges and bottom of the pan to ensure the tortilla isn’t sticking. Place a large, rimless dish over skillet and quickly invert the tortilla onto the plate (use pot holders!).
6. Add a little more olive oil to the pan and carefully slide the tortilla back into the pan, uncooked side down. Straighten the tortilla by shaking gently and pushing the edges in with the spatula. Reduce the heat to very low and let cook for another 3 – 4 minutes.
7. The tortilla is done when a toothpick comes out clean. To remove from pan, invert the tortilla on a platter again. Blot with a paper towel to remove of excess oil. Cut into wedges and serve warm.