When I am sick, I crave chicken soup. But nothing is worse than cooking up a storm while your head feels like it’s going to explode. Instead of reaching for the canned stuff, whip together this improvised recipe and you’ll feel better in no time.
Makes eight servings. Freeze leftovers for emergencies.
1/2 rotisserie chicken, pulled
1 quart chicken stock
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, coarsely sliced
4 ounces egg noodles
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon dill, chopped
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper
1. In a very large pot, heat canola and butter.
2. When butter is melted, add carrots and onion. Sautee until carrots are softened, about 10 minutes.
3. Pour in chicken stock, then add a quart of water. Stir in chicken, then season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cover and let simmer for ten minutes so favors meld.
4. Raise heat and bring to boil. Add noodles, then reduce heat slightly and cook until noodles are tender.
5. Stir in herbs, then ladle into bowls. Serve with crackers.
Deirdre Kiyonaga said:
Made this last night. Turned out great! I put a little too much dill in it, but it was super good. Thanks Annie 🙂 + ❤
I’m sick at home and hoping to make this today! Also, I love that in your little photo you’re eating the cupcake I made you for your birthday so many years ago:) ❤
🙂 feel better dear.