This dish makes the most of the last summer goodies available at your farmer’s market. Though salad may not seem like an obvious place for fruit, the sweetness and texture of the peaches perfectly balances the salty, crispiness of the bacon. Serve with buttered corn and a light, white wine for a perfect, simple meal. Serves two.
1 bunch baby rocket arugula, stems removed and washed
1/2 pound good slab bacon
1 pint multicolored, heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 pound, hard salty cheese (such as gruyere or parmesan), grated
1 large shallot, sliced
1 peach, pitted and diced
5 leaves basil, julienned
Juice of half a lemon
1. Heat large pan over medium-high flame.
2. When pan is hot, add bacon, making sure not to overlap. Cook until completely crisp (but not burnt!) on both sides.
3. While bacon is cooking, combine arugula, tomatoes, cheese, basil and peaches in large bowl. Set aside.
4. When bacon is done, drain on paper towel, then crumble.
5. Add shallots to bacon pan, and sautée til almost soft.
6. In separate, small bowl, mix 6 tbs. oil with 2 tbs. balsamic vinegar. Squeeze in lemon and season with salt and pepper.
7. Combine all ingredients and serve immediately.