I need greens (and lots of them) to feel healthy. I try to balance my need for fresh produce with my desire for rich, hearty dishes that will sooth me to core. Below is recipe for turkey meatballs in arugula pesto that is chock full of vitamins but comforting enough to eat curled up under your comforter. Serve over the pasta of your choice or alone with some crusty bread.
1 lb. dark thigh meat, ground
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small shallot, finely minced
1 tbs. parsley, chopped
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil for cooking
A few tbs. chicken stock
1. Mix all ingredients carefully together, making sure not to overwork the meat. If mixture is not sticking together, add another egg.
2. Form mixture into golf ball sized balls.
3. In oven proof pan, heat oil over medium-high flame. When oil is shimmering, add meatballs to pan, cooking in three or four batches so oil does not cool.
4. Cook until lightly browned on both sides, then remove from pan and set aside.
5. When all meat balls are seared, return to pan. Pour chicken stock over meatballs and cook in oven heated to 350 degrees for 7-8 minutes.
5 cups baby rocket arugula
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 cup ricotta
2 tbs. olive oil
1/2 cup pasta water or chicken stock
Salt and pepper taste
Parmesan for sprinkling
1. Add all ingredients to food processor and blend.
2. Season to taste. Add liquid to adjust thickness.
3. Toss with meatballs and serve with parmesan.