I relish a rainy Sunday where I can bake then laze around nibbling. This morning, I was hankering for some nice, fluffy biscuits to go along with my newspaper and coffee.
As always, this recipe can be customized to suit your tastes. Use whatever herbs or cheese you’d like or substitute sour cream, buttermilk or yogurt for the milk. However, no skimping on the fat! 2% milk and reduced fat yogurt simply don’t work well here.
2 cups of flour (try a mixture of white and whole wheat!)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon salt
2/3 cup whole milk
6 tablespoons butter or lard, chilled and diced
1/4 pound grated cheddar
2 tablespoons chopped chives
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.
3. Using a rubber spatula, add butter to dry ingredients until mixture clumps together.
4. Pour in milk and stir until dough pulls away from sides of the bowl. Add more milk or flour to adjust consistency, if necessary.
5. Gently incorporate chives and cheese into dough.
6. On floured baking surface, divide dough into sixths. Shape into balls, then flatten lightly.
7. Bake for 12 minutes, or until golden, on oiled baking sheet.
Eat hot, fresh out of the oven.
Pingback: Chhowwdderrr « BerryLocal